A few tips I have learnt on the way to becoming a writer.
- Write an outline of what the book is about, around one – three pages. Start middle & end
- Write out chapter outlines – one sentence per chapter.
- Character build – write out simple things; name, age, hobbies, looks, features, education, dreams etc
- Take your chapter sentence and expand it to a full chapter.
- You do not have to write chapters in order, some are easier, some are more difficult.
- Don’t go back over your work to edit it, this wastes a lot of time, and you lose the rhythm – save editing to the end.
- Write everyday – even if it’s only 100 words
- The goal is to have first draft of the book completed - it will be very rough, and that’s okay!
- Celebrate that you have written a story!
- Leave your book for a couple of weeks.
- Then read and review every line.
- Then once you are happy, ask people which will be honest with you to read it. www.goodreads.com – Beta groups that can help.
- Gather all feedback, and review/edit
Hire an editor to review your book, it can start at $400 and depends on how much editing you need to be done. They send it back to you and you approve their comments.
Professional Book cover
You have to make your book stand out and look professional, check out 99desgins, they offer a great service starting at $299.
Self-publishing and distributions
Amazon has a company called www.createspace.com where you can upload your word document, and they format it into an ebook or hard copy. They ship the products out and you get a royalty.
Interesting pod casts to listen to is www.selfpublishing.com
Hayley Lawson is the author of War Kids. She has written a young adult contemporary novel set in Syria; a story about the Syrian Civil war though the eyes of children.
She was born in Lancaster, England. Growing up in a single parent household with five other siblings; was hard, and also character building.
As a young child she found a passion for drawing, and continued this into adulthood, graduating from the University of Central Lancashire, England with a BA(Hons) in fashion design.
At aged twenty seven, Hayley and her husband packed up their belongings for a lifelong dream to move to California. Her America dream was complete with the birth of her daughter. Her love for traveling, continued after the birth of her daughter traveling around America with the family, and the best travelled dog.
A new job positioned opened up New York, and the family decide to relocate to Long Island, NY, which is where she currently resides.
On August 21 she was moved by the images of the Syrian conflict, and embarked on an unlikely journey of writing her first novel.
All profits from the book will be going to the save the children charity.
When fourteen-year-old Jada wakes up in a hospital, the last thing she thinks is that her life has completely changed forever. But when the very real civil war forces her to flee from every open space, she must use the firearm skills her father taught her to reunite with him and protect herself. Armed with a single gun and a key to an unknown locker, Jada crosses Syria on a journey with a group of children called the Fearless Freedom Fighters. With the leader, Zak, they mount a plan to rescue their fathers while they try to cope with the merciless murders of their families. As Jada and Zak lead the group together, love blossoms, but with soldiers hot on their tail, they need to stay vigilant in the face of war.
Reviews from Wattpad
Very interesting story, very powerful. I can really feel the emotion...Peter
This book really touches my heart because there is so much truth is in this book. The detail is so brilliantly displayed, its beautifuly written. There are pretty intense chapters, its good... scrap that its excellent. Loe the work ...although I am upset. I know this is a fictional story, but I just can't help but feel extremely bad for all the lost lives especially the innocent and young ones...Saddy
A REMARKABLE BOOK, DEMANDS TO BE READ Goodreads review from Joe Eliseon
Genre - Young Adult
Rating – PG-13
More details about the author